Lysozymes are the substances or cell organelles found in the composition of almost every cell in the body. These act and function much like those of the natural enzyme systems in the human body. Lysozymes are integral to the natural defense mechanism of the body. These are present in every cell hence act at a very microscopic level by engaging foreign particles and harmful microorganisms such as viruses and bacterias. Lysozymes have antibacterial and antifungal properties. It has a significant role in protecting the body against fungi and bacteria by puncturing their outer covering that is the cell wall in most cases. Hence rendering those invading intruders susceptible to the ineffective. It is present in most body secretions such as mucous, tears, breast milk, and saliva. Within cells, Lysozymes are tightly packed and controlled through the feedback process. Whenever there is an infectious agent inside or outside the cell, these are released and kill the bacteria, viruses, or any other infectious agent.
Benefits of lysozymes!
- As it has been a well-established fact that these are key components of our innate immunity i.e natural immune system. If the body is deficient in this enzyme system it leaves the body systems and organs vulnerable to different infections.
- In certain liver diseases such as fatty liver disease, hepatitis, and cirrhosis, the body is deprived of lysozyme mediated immunity hence more prone to infections.
- Ear infections are particularly related to the deficiency of the lysozyme.
- It is also used to detect the underlying infection in the body.
- Higher than normal depict underlying infection in the body.
- Traditionally it has been used to treat a wide range of health complications such as acne and many inflammatory diseases.
- Thanks to its rapid antibacterial activity, it helps in the rapid wound healing process. Recent studies have also linked it to slow down the progression of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
One of the most important functions, performed by Lysozymes is the immune system modulation in response to the infection in the body. Now, these are commercially available in the form of antibodies as preformed preparation in the markets. High-risk age groups and individuals with reduced innate immunity may need this commercial preparation of lysozymes. These are immunity boosters especially in the times of current pandemic due to Covid-19. So there are plentiful benefits of lysozyme enzyme systems as natural immune modulators and immunity boosters.
Dr. Sajid Hussyn